Friday, September 5, 2008

A Friday Night In & Me Time

I've typically have had a good read on myself in terms of when I need to dial down and have some "L.Star" time and when its fine to be Miss Social Butterfly. Tonight is L.Star night! So far, I went to the gym and had a nice work out, came home and cooked myself dinner and now am blogging with a nice glass of wine next to me. 

I read this article in some magazine given to me by my magazine dealer... yes, I have an actual magazine dealer... I obtain piles of trendy magazines for free. I take them with me on airplanes and leave them either on the plane for someone else's reading pleasure or in my hotel room for the maid. If I were a maid and found such magazines, I would probably stash them away for future browsing. HOWEVER I am totally off of the point of mentioning my magazine. I meant to tell you that I was reading this article about women and their social habits and how they've altered over the last 40 years. One of the things they mentioned was how "me" time has changed. Instead of it truly being something you do for yourself to relax or what not, its become time focused on obtaining today's standard of what is fashionably acceptable- waxing, painting toes/nails, doing hair, blah blah blah... now, I'm not saying any of these things are bad but they don't categorize as "me" time. Its on the "to do" list to for being publicly presentable. (BTW, I fail miserably at doing anything on this list. Just look at my eyebrows.)

So the question is... what is "me time" for me? 

Here's a top five list for me in no particular order:
1. Cooking a great meal at home and having a friend or two over to eat it.
2. Getting a massage
3. Drinking coffee at a cafe with my lap top downtown A2... preferably Cafe Felix or Cafe Zola.
4. Spending all day in bed
5. Going kayaking or to the Arb

You?

3 comments:

Megan said...

I know I am discriminated against because I'm a dude, but last night I had to draw "me" time boundary so I could read a few pages of C.S. Lewis. I found that satisfying, but then wondered what nugget or "Megan-ism" I missed out on because I choose to talk with a dead English dude instead of her. Quite the dilemma.

linds said...

hmm.. that is quite the dilemma-but not one that I am currently faced with. Although I am sure Megs was more than happy to let you read a few pages of the dead guy's words. :)

Jos said...

Linds, me time... I actually love having me time at home by myself (a rarity!) -- and I usually start it off with cleaning or some sort of unfinished project becuase doing that uninterrupted is totally a treat. THEN, if me time lasts long enough, I like to actually put on makeup, read a book, scrapbook, paint my nails, and then call a good friend.